Saturday, January 26, 2008

landmarks

Carly of the blog Ellipsis has suggested landmarks.Again, let's take an opportunity to show off our hometowns. I live in the Bay Area, so I have no real shortage of recognizable landmarks, so what I would do is try to show those landmarks in an interesting lighting circumstance, such as a sunset, or under special lighting conditions. But I want to see other places, and the landmarks that make those places so special. A beautifully designed building, an incredible bridge, or a monument of some sort, or maybe even an unusual road sign. It's all good!"

this is the renaissance tower.  at 300 feet high, it's alabama's tallest tourist attraction. it underwent many unsuccessful changes since it's construction in 1991, and it was only after the marriott acquired it that it appears to have found lasting success. there is a restaurant at the top which rotates 360 degrees every 75 minutes and overlooks the tennessee river and wilson dam.

    

wilson dam was named for president woodrow wilson and it's construction began during ww I to supply electricity for the making of explosives at two federally operated nitrate plants in muscle shoals. it  was later acquired by tva (tennessee valley authority) and continues generating our electricity today.  it was declared a national historic landmark in 1966.  up until 9/11, visitors could access the locks to observe wildlife on the islands in the lake, and watch barges and other water vessels come and go...i really miss those days.  doesn't appear that they will ever open the dam up to the public again.  :(  this photo was taken from the tower restaurant.

to view other entries, check out The Round Robin Photo Challenges.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!  Great show of the dam, for sure.    Tower shots are great as well.   Did you take the dam shot from inside the tower?      I could be partial, but this is a fantastic entry.   <big smile>
~Meggy

Anonymous said...

I love the tower pictures; that would be neat to have dinner up there!

betty

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful pictures that you that you took! -Missy

Anonymous said...

 Great shots.

               Julie

Anonymous said...

That is some structure!  We have a large stone dam in our town.
Thank you for reminding me to post!!!!
Ü
Marie

Anonymous said...

Hi Gina :)

What an awesome tower, and look at that view! Thanks for sharing it with us honey!

Always, Carly

Anonymous said...

It's amazing, the changes 9/11 brought about.  I won't go into my recent experience flying!   LOL!  It's too bad people can't go up on the dam but I can understand the reason for caution.  The tower is certainly a commanding landmark, and the view from it stunning!  Great shots and entry!

Suzanne R
http://newsuzannerslife.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love that dam shot.  And what is the building with the green roof, hiding in the background of one of the towel shots? It's very intriguing looking!

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know about this tower
Learning so much in my blogosphere travels

<a href="http://www.thedustwillwait.blogspot.com/">The Dust Will Wait</a>

Anonymous said...

I didn't know of this tower either.  Great shots.
I love going up in things like this...
Will you take me if I visit?    ; )

Nance

Anonymous said...

Yep, I knew I had this link....it must have dropped while transferring names to my new journal, thanks for re-sending it. These are cool pictures....we just recently visited the Hoover Dam and I had to stay back because my bag was too big (security) and they had no lockers. It was too hot to walk back to the car with my purse, so just Marv & Mandy saw it up close & personal. It was an awesome place though, and I can certainly understand it being a threat to terrorists.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

I love the photo of the dam.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/

Anonymous said...

Your selections are truly magnificent structures. I'd love to eat at the rotating restaurant; it is an impressive architectural structure. The shot of the dam is awe inspiring. It's a shame that it's closed to the public.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

Very impressive.  The view from the tower restaurant is amazing.  It is a shame you can't visit the locks any more.  Hopefully, they will open it up again.
=Kiva

Anonymous said...

Wow, great dam photo! and i love that that the tower is being used, love those revolving restaurants on high!

Anonymous said...

Hey Gina!~

Been a long time since I have been by.  Great choice for the Round Robin Challenge.  Thanks for visiting my journal.  Glad you liked the angle I took my black and white photo from.

Have a blessed week!~

Susan

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the photo of the dam. Stunning :)

Dan

http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom

Anonymous said...

Great photos! I especially like the shot of the dam. Sorry I'm so late making it by to check these out. Martha ~

Anonymous said...

This journal is the most time I've spent pondering Alabama in like 5 years.